The IMMG offers tours for classroom field trips, home-school groups, and other interested youth organizations.
On the Museum Tour the youth group will learn about:
- Rock and mineral identification
- Geology fundamentals
- Idaho’s geologic history
- Idaho’s mining history
- Idaho fossils
- Uses of rocks & minerals
- Idaho gem origins
On the Hillside Geo-Hike the youth group will learn about:
- Ancient Lake Idaho
- Warm Springs geothermal system
- Table Rock sandstone and associated features
- The story behind Boise’s benches
- Local volcanics
- The Idaho Batholith
- Local evidence of geologic processes
School Tour Details:
- Tours are about 1.5 hours long and include both a hillside geology hike and a museum experience.
- Tours are available for grades K-12 and will be appropriate for the age group.
- Tours are available for students in public, charter, private, religious and home schools, and day cares.
- Minimum age is 5 years old.
- Maximum group size is 50 students.
- If the group is larger than 25 students, it will be broken into 2 groups and one group will be on the hill while the other is in the museum.
- Groups smaller than 10 students will be accommodated at the discretion of the Tour Coordinator.
- Cost is $2 per child, with a minimum group charge of $20.
- Tours are scheduled Monday-Friday, April through October. No tours in July.
- Tours are conducted between 9 am and 2:00 pm. No tours after 2 pm.
- Three weeks advance notice is required to setup a school tour for your group.
- The museum appreciates and welcomes parent help. In fact, we may need your help with supervision and activities. It is best that parents not bring younger siblings on the tour.
- Teachers, bus drivers, and parent-helpers are free. All others are $2 each.
Call Eliza at 208-571-5720 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org